Medical Administrative Assisting (MAA)
NEW Now Enrolling!
Medical Administrative Assistants keep the front office of medical facilities running smoothly and efficiently. Their roles in those offices will varying depending on the size and function of that office. In smaller practices, Medical Administrative Assistants are typically generalists that perform all of administrative needs of the office manager, physician, and/or health practitioner. MAAs in larger practices tend to specialize in one particular area on a day-to-day basis, such as patient intake or insurance billing.
Palmetto School of Career Development’s Medical Administrative Assistant course provides our students with the practical knowledge and skills necessary to thrive in a variety of medical offices including hospitals, physician’s offices, nursing homes, mental health facilities, outpatient surgery centers, and numerous other healthcare professional settings. Our course is only 8-weeks long and classes are held on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6 pm to 9 pm. Instructors are drawn directly from medical offices and our trainings are infused with their firsthand knowledge from years on the job. Our dedicated Career Advisors also coordinate internships with local medical offices and assist students with finding full-time employment after graduation.
As the healthcare industry continues to rapidly expand, so too does the role of Medical Administrative Assistants. That role has increasingly evolved to include more technology and PSCD’s course was developed with that in mind. The training covers all of the topics to the right:
- Medical terminology and acronyms.
- Medical law and ethics
- OSHA, HIPPA, and basic infection control
- CPR certification training
- Using medical computer software to schedule appointments and enter medical data
- Processing insurance, billing and coding.
- Basic pharmacology and how to enter medications and laboratory results into an electronic medical record.
- Basic medical marketing, management skills, and resume writing interview techniques.
- Understanding of the modern healthcare industry
- Diagnostic and procedural coding
- Generating health insurance and claim forms
- Medical practice management best practices
- Billing and collecting payments