Description: Pharmacy Technicians are primarily responsible for assisting Pharmacists with the fulfilling and dispensing of prescriptions to patients or other health professionals. As the role of the Pharmacists increases in the modern healthcare landscape, Pharmacy Technicians are being entrusted with even more responsibility, making this one of the most exciting careers in healthcare to be a part of.
Job opportunities for Pharmacy Technicians are numerous and include pharmacies like CVS or Walgreens, pharmacies in department stores or grocery stores, schools, clinics, hospitals, pharmaceutical manufacturers, nursing homes, or any other health facility that dispenses medication to patients. Palmetto School of Career Development’s Pharmacy Technician course is designed to provide students with the knowledge and training needed to succeed in any pharmacy setting.
Course Length: 12 weeks.
Time: 6 pm to 9 pm on Fridays
After Graduation: Our dedicated Career Advisors coordinate internships with local pharmacies and assist students with finding employment after graduation.
During the course, students receive assistance with becoming Registered Pharmacy Technicians in the State of South Carolina. Some pharmacies reimburse their Pharmacy Technicians for taking additional certification courses which can lead to even higher paying opportunities for those employees.
Topics Covered Include:
- Processing and recognizing drug orders
- Understanding of Pharmacy Benefit Managers
- Using patient profiles and hospital charting in drug use and monitoring
- Ordering, maintaining, and controlling pharmacy inventory
- Procedures for handling controlled substances and their drug orders
- Pharmacy calculations
- Sterile product compounding
- Pharmacology and pharmacokinetics
- HIPAA and OSHA Training
- Federal Pharmacy Regulations
- Understanding the NDA/ANDA process for bringing new drugs to market
- Regulatory agencies and their functions as they relate to the pharmacy field
- Different areas within the field of pharmacy and the role of a Pharmacy Technician in those setting
Palmetto School of Career Development's courses are designed to be fast-paced and focused on the training you'll need to obtain a career in a high-demand field. The process is simple:
Attend our Pharmacy Technician course and complete all of the assignments, quizzes, and tests associated with that course.
Take the PTCE Exam through the PTCB (recommended) or the ExCPT Exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
Apply for a job in a retail pharmacy, hospital, clinic, nursing home, or any other health facility that dispenses medication to patients.
Ready to get started? Contact your local Career Advisor to set up an appointment or attend one of our open house events, or enroll now!
Average annual pay for Pharmacy Technicians is $31,750 which translates to $15.26/hr.
The number of Pharmacy Technician jobs in the US is expected to increase by 12% between 2016 and 2026, which is,faster than the national average.