VA Education Benefits Help

What documents do you need when enrolling using VA Education Benefits?

In addition to the standard enrollment documents (Photo ID, SSN/Birth Certificate, and High School Diploma/GED), students that wish to use VA Education Benefits should bring their Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA as well as transcripts from any other educational institutions attended in the past or currently.

Need to apply for benefits?

To apply for education benefits:

  1. Go to
  2. Scroll down to education and training, click educational benefit, click the green box that reads “find your education benefits form” and answer all the questions asked.
  3. Complete your application by providing information about you and your situation.
  4. Include (upload) supporting documents that support your claim.
  5. Submit your claim.

What happens after you apply?

You can’t make changes to your application, but if you have questions about VA Education Benefits, please call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (ET). If you have been asked for documents, please upload them through the GI Bill® website. 30 Days is the average time to process education claims. The VA will then send you a Certificate of Eligibility if you meet their requirements.

Already have your approval letter?

Once you have received your approval letter in the mail, you will need to provide a copy to Palmetto School of Career Development when enrolling. We will then submit your information through a system called VA Once to get an approval for the course you want to enroll in.

Can’t find your letter but know you have approval to use benefits?

Call 1-800-827-1000 to request a letter and confirm benefits, Monday through Friday from 8 am to 9 pm. You can do this on your own and/or at our offices during the enrollment process. Your enrollment can be certified without an eligibility letter but you will need to provide your Social Security Number at enrollment in order to be certified.

Are you a dependent of a Veteran and using their benefits to enroll?

At enrollment, you will need to provide the Social Security Number for yourself as well as the Veteran whose benefits you are using. The Veteran will need to have you, the student, listed as a dependent with the VA to be eligible to use their benefits. If you are uncertain whether you are listed as a dependent, have the Veteran call 1-800-827-1000 to confirm.

Still have questions? Call us or fill out the form below to request additional information.